Larimar’s story is based on many legends and stories. Although Larimar is commercially a relatively new gem, Dominican ancestors have long appreciated the Caribbean gem.
The stories of his first discovery say he was found by Father Miguel Domingo Fuertes Loren in 1916 in the Dominican Republic, but then forgotten until his most recent “rediscovery” in 1974 by Miguel Méndez, a local Dominican, and Norman Rilling, a volunteer of the Peace Corps of the United States.
Together, they baptized the stone with the name of ‘Larissa’ from Méndez’s daughter, combining the first letters of his name ‘Lari’ with ‘mar’, the Spanish word for ‘sea’. Today, the Blue Larimar is very popular throughout the Caribbean, but it is extremely rare to find it anywhere else.
- 1 Where does the Larimar stone come from?
- 2 Where was Larimar first discovered?
- 3 How did Larimar get its name?
- 4 Is Larimar a precious stone?
- 5 Why is Larimar blue?
- 6 Is Larimar toxic?
- 7 Is larimar a stone or crystal?
- 8 Is larimar expensive?
- 9 How is Larimar graded?
- 10 Larimar mystical properties
- 11 What does the Larimar stone stand for?
- 12 What chakra is Larimar good for?
- 13 healing properties of larimar
- 14 How do you use Larimar for healing?
- 15 How do you clean Larimar?
- 16 recommendations about Larimar
Where does the Larimar stone come from?
The larimar is a volcanic rock that emerged from the eruptions that occurred during the Mesolithic era, 100 million years ago, in what is now the community The Philippines in the Dominican Republic, in the Bahoruco Municipal District. A lot of time has passed.
The rock where the larimar comes from is a volcanic rock, about 100 million years ago that there was a permanent volcanic activity there, in the Mesolithic era.
In the mid-twentieth century, the rocks that went unnoticed since the time of Enriquillo (aboriginal leader of the first settlers of Hispaniola Island, now known as the Dominican Republic.) moved until they were visible to those who lived in Bahoruco, Dominican Republic.
Where was Larimar first discovered?
The Larimar was discovered less than three decades ago. The only locality where the Larimar, or blue Pectolite, appears on the earth’s crust, is the province of Barahona, in the southwestern region of the Dominican Republic.
The larimar mine is located in the town of Los Chupaderos, approximately 10 km away, in the mountains, near the city of Barahona. It is currently the place where larimar is the most abundant.
How did Larimar get its name?
In 1974, the Dominican craftsman Miguel Méndez collected some samples that he tested in his workshop, proving to be satisfactory, thus giving him the name of “larimar” for his daughter Larissa and the term “sea” related to the blue color of the stone.
Is Larimar a precious stone?
Gemstones are considered scarce, that is why their value and name as such, as well as having an intense shine, and harder material. Among the use that man uses, this type of stone is as personal, decorative, or jewelry.
Four are the precious stones that are found, as they are: The diamond, the Ruby, the Sapphire, and the Emerald. Its beauty and characteristics make these four gems or precious stones.
On the other hand, out of this range are semiprecious stones. They are considered so since they are much easier to achieve in nature, and although they do not have the same characteristics as gems, they maintain their beauty, after being treated by man, either polishing or carving.
To highlight even more Its brightness and value. Among the semiprecious stones is the Topacion. Amethyst, Garnet, Tourmaline, Quartz, Turquoise, Coral, Amber and Larimar.
Although the semi-precious stones, maintain an economic value lower than the precious ones, these are still an option for all those and those lovers of the stones and even more, when their extraction comes from a unique territory. This is the case with the Larimar semi-precious stone.
Why is Larimar blue?
Larimar is a variety of pectolite, or a rock composed largely of pectolite, of calcium and sodium silicate acid hydrate. Although pectolite is found in many places, none has the unique blue color of Larimar. its blue color, different from that of other pectolites is the result of the replacement of cobalt for calcium and some copper impurities.
Is Larimar toxic?
The larimar is composed of Silicate of Calcium and Sodium Hydrate with Magnesium, these elements do not represent any danger of toxicity to humans, the Larimar, after being collected as a stone in the mines, is treated by hand by artisans who shape and adequate and attractive texture. for the use of people.
I saw this beautiful necklace handicraft from larimar on Amazon, made with pure larimar and genuine sea glass.
Is larimar a stone or crystal?
The Larimar exists for millions of years, is of volcanic origin, and is a stone composed of calcium and sodium, along with a hydroxyl group,
The difference between a crystal and a stone is that most natural crystals are formed by crystallization of accumulated gases, the stones are formed in different ways, one of the most common is by the solidification of volcanic magma upon reaching the surface.
Is larimar expensive?
Due to its rarity and its difficulty in obtaining the larimar, it could be a bit expensive, but the price will depend on other factors, such as the combination material used and the type of crafts, I was surprised to see these bracelets on Amazon for under US $ 20.
How is Larimar graded?
“The bluer the stone is, the more valuable and expensive,” the miners and artisans of the Dominican Republic explain over and over again.
This semiprecious stone is divided into three known types of larimar: first, second and third, always depending on the degree of blue of the rocks.
Larimar jewels are available in the Dominican Republic and the Caribbean. Most of the jewels produced bind the larimar with silver, but often the superior quality stones bind to gold.
The quality of the stone is evaluated according to its color: the more the stone is deep blue, the more the stone is precious.
High-quality jewels use stones between sky blue and deep blue, often joining these two shades. Some green colors are also known but not considered good unless the green is intense.
Red colorations in Larimar indicate traces of iron. It should be noted that pectolites are photosensitive, so Larimar loses its blue color over the years.
Larimar mystical properties
• The Larimar energy gives us the qualities of the sea and the air, bringing peace of heart and integrating it with peace of mind and positive thinking.
• It connects with the purest communication, bringing inner peace and compassion towards oneself and others, closely linked to the energy of dolphins, it reflects their intuitive wisdom, their innocence, and their pure feelings.
This crystal is also connected with wisdom and with the history of Atlantis, it also favors communication with other spiritual realms and Angelic contact. Tune in to the fifth chakra, (throat), but also harmonize with the fourth (heart) and the sixth (third eye).
• It offers beautiful energy of healing and unconditional love, the joy of spirit, beauty, fluidity, energetic connection, and harmony with the human being and with nature. It gives us the energy of the Goddess, especially in its connection with the sea and the sky.
• It balances the feminine energy in both men and women, contributing to the control of emotions without suppressing them, and contributing to bipolar disorders. Suitable for those people who are looking for their soul mate, and the cheerful energy of childhood.
• It helps to overcome apathy, and see the needs of internal or external change, offers the awareness of recognizing the bonds that we must release to continue with our growth.
• Especially recommended for people suffering from stress, and to eliminate those blockages and self-destructive behaviors such as the tendency to martyrdom, guilt, and fear, helping to take control of one’s life, and to face changes and challenges in a positive way. It brings clarity, constructive thinking, and creative mentality.
• It is highly recommended to use it when you need to placate intense emotions such as anger, or simply on occasions when interior purity is required, or if negative feelings are manifested, These earrings made of larimar with a heart shape help emphasize the concept of inner healing, you can buy them at Amazon.
What does the Larimar stone stand for?
Its meaning is related to the way it helps you let go of specific feelings in the ego and live in the now. It has a strong spiritual action and will stimulate both the third eye and the crown chakras, and will help you take care of yourself.
This stone of the ability to encourage you to go with the flow and reassure your thoughts. This allows you to be fully present and understand your current circumstances.
What chakra is Larimar good for?
Healers can use this stone in designs in any of the chakras from the heart chakra up, but it is more effective in the throat chakra and the heart chakra.
Within the thymus chakra or upper heart chakra, its vibration will help you forgive others who may have caused you difficulties, and clear deep-rooted emotional pain.
This stone can help you release deep-rooted pain, resentment, and fear. It might be useful to use a piece near the place where you are feeling pain, to keep the energy working at its maximum capacity.
It is an excellent stone to help you eliminate any negative entity or other attachments, and it is a useful stone if you have side effects related to the activation of kundalini, as it is soothing and calming.
healing properties of larimar
• Being a relatively young gem is the great unknown of the mineral world. Even so, its properties are excellent for health.
• The larimar harmonizes our organism, Due to this, it is very appropriate for the nervous system, since it balances it, also for anxiety states and the hormonal system, as well as for the thyroid. It provides strength to the immune system, increases defenses and stimulates communication and concentration.
• Combat the pain in the joints and that of migraines, just place a larimar in the painful place.
• It reduces inflammation in the throat and leads to normal body temperature. It positively affects the disease of the bronchi and lung. The respiratory system improves and stabilizes the heart, thus normalizing blood pressure.
• It helps to get rid of mental oppression, improve the psycho-emotional state of the patient. It helps the rapid healing of wounds and postoperative sutures.
• Larimar is also considered as a healing stone and is said to be in tune with the human body, and in particular with the throat area. Healers and by tradition say that this stone increases speech and communication skills, the stone supports the process of natural healing in the human body.
Some people believe in these qualities of the stone and it has been known that Larimar’s leftover in jewelry stores is sold to put it in pockets or under pillows for the improvement of ailments.
The Larimar stone is also called the Atlantis Stone, as it was the stone used by a spiritual master who lived in Trinidad and Tobago, and founded many yoga centers around the world, he claimed that some islands in the Caribbean, including the Dominican Republic, were part of the lost continent of Atlantis.
And he went further by saying that on one of those islands, a blue stone with healing powers would be found, the description corresponds to Larimar. Today, there are thousands of people, along with naturalists who practice alternative and holistic healing methods, in which they use Larimar to help and strengthen healing processes.
How do you use Larimar for healing?
It helps eliminate energy blockages, especially in the throat, chest, neck and head area. It is said to help relieve blood pressure problems and infections in the chest, throat and head, as well as cure fevers, infections and inflammations.
You may want to place a piece of Larimar stone in the place of the sore to help it heal.
The vibration of this stone is known to help improve your creativity and can help you find creative ways to achieve your soul’s purpose in this incarnation, as it stimulates spiritual perception.
How do you clean Larimar?
• Larimar is quite soft and fragile compared to most precious stones.
• It also has a brittle toughness and a perfect neckline that requires extra care in cleaning and storage. Be sure to avoid harsh chemicals and cleaners as Larimar can be corroded by mineral acid.
• Avoid strong heat and sunlight to prevent color loss. You can clean the stones with a soft cloth. When cleaning, use only warm water and a mild soap or detergent if necessary. Be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any leftover soap residue.
• Always take off Larimar’s jewelry before doing any strenuous physical activity, such as sports, exercise, or housework.
• When storing Larimar gemstones, store them separately and away from other gems and jewelry to avoid scratches and fractures. It is best to wrap your gems with a soft cloth and place them in a jewelry box lined with a cloth.
recommendations about Larimar
The larimar gem is especially recommended for people suffering from stress, and to eliminate those blockages and self-destructive behaviors such as the tendency to martyrdom, guilt, and fear, helping to take control of one’s life, and to face changes and challenges in a way positive.
Larimar is quite soft and fragile compared to most precious stones. It also has a brittle toughness and a perfect neckline that requires extra care in cleaning and storage.
Be sure to avoid harsh chemicals and cleaners as Larimar can be corroded by mineral acid. Avoid strong heat and sunlight to prevent color loss. You can clean the stones with a soft cloth. When cleaning, use only warm water and a mild soap or detergent if necessary.
Be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any leftover soap residue. Always remove Larimar jewelry before performing any strenuous physical activity, such as sports, exercise, or housework, and when storing Larimar gemstones.
Do it separately and away from other gems and jewelry to avoid possible scratches and fractures. It is best to wrap your gems with a soft cloth and place them in a jewelry box lined with a cloth.